I just released version 1.5.0 of Elpy, the Emacs Python Development Environment. This is a major feature release.
Elpy is an Emacs package to bring powerful Python editing to Emacs. It combines a number of other packages, both written in Emacs Lisp as well as Python.
(require 'package) (add-to-list 'package-archives '("elpy" . "http://jorgenschaefer.github.io/packages/"))
M-x package-install RET elpy RET.
Finally, run the following (and add them to your
Changes in 1.5.0
- Elpy now has a manual. Additionally, there's a menu bar now which should make it easier to discover Elpy features.
- The Elpy Python package now ships with the Emacs Lisp package, removing the need to install Elpy via pip.
- Python 3.4 is now officially supported.
- The new command elpy-config can be used to configure Elpy using Emacs' built-in customize system. Elpy has been changed to make the most of this.
- Elpy now uses company-mode instead of auto-complete for on-the-fly auto completion. This changes a few things. There is no automatic documentation popup anymore. Instead, you can type C-d and get the documentation buffer. In addition, you can type C-w to see the source of the current candidate in context.
- Elpy now uses pyvenv as the virtualenv module, enabling virtualenvwrapper hooks.
- We now ship with a large number of YASnippet snippets. Try ``M-x yas-insert-snippet``.
- The new unified test running interface on C-c C-t will try to determine the current test and run it, or, failing that, run all tests. Provide a prefix argument to just run all tests no matter what. You can change the test runner to be used using elpy-set-test-runner. Elpy supports the default unittest discover runner, the Django discover runner, nosetests and py.test by default. New test runners can easily be defined.
- There's a new multi-edit functionality. C-c C-e will edit all occurrences of the symbol under point. When using Jedi, this is using semantic information as opposed to just syntactic one. When a region is active, edit all occurrences of the text in region in the current buffer.
- When sending Python code to the interactive interpreter using ``C-c C-c``, Elpy will now not automatically pop to the interpreter anymore. Use C-c C-z to switch to the interpreter.
- Elpy will now display the current class and function if there is no call tip to be displayed. Removes the C-c C-q binding.
- If there is a call tip, highlight the current argument (requires Jedi).
- The documentation interface using C-c C-d is much smarter now, falling back to pydoc when necessary and providing sensible completion for that, too. Provide a prefix argument if you want no smarts, just pydoc.
and now open a line below or above the current one. will now navigate between Python blocks of the same indentation level. will move the current block. Try it, it's easier to understand when you see it than to explain it.
- There's a new concept of modules. The variable elpy-default-minor-modes is gone (use elpy-mode-hook for minor modes). Instead, there's now elpy-modules which can be used to enable or disable certain features of Elpy.
- elpy-clean-modeline is gone, modules now clean themselves up.
- Elpy now distinguishes between the project root, where project files are located, and the library root, which should be part of sys.path to import the module under development.
- elpy-project-ignored-directories replaces the old elpy-rgrep-ignored-directories and is used by more features.
- elpy-doc-websearch has been removed as it was barely useable as is.
- Elpy now tries to be more helpful when errors in the backend happen. This removes elpy-rpc-traceback, as that will be displayed by default.
- Optimizations were added to handle large files, making general interaction a lot faster.
- When Rope is being used, do not search through unusually large directories. This should speed up interaction in those cases, especially when editing a file in the home directory.
- And a whole lot of minor bug fixes and little improvements.